Sunday, January 8, 2012

Not the average triathlete

First of all I want to clear this up. I don't really like to call myself a triathlete. And I really don't like to call myself an ironman. I think to call yourself an ironman you should have completed one, right? So let's just say I'm an ironman hopeful:)

I was teaching one of my classes Thursay and I had a conversation with a lady blew my mind. Her husband has done lots of IM's he's very fast! I could only be that fast in my dreams. Anyway, he signed up for St. Goerge IM. The one in the mountains......insane. But what got me is that he is taking a "business trip" in Utah just so he can run the course and then write it off. What?!?! Come on, who can really do that? Not me.

A few things I've learned about triathletes this year. They are single, married to a triathlete, older with grown kids, no kids, and usually have plenty of money. I am not any of these.

I am a preachers wife with 3 young kids who I homeschool and have very little money.

Let's start with preachers wife. Ethan is probably the most supportive husband I have ever met but he is NEVER going to train with me. He pretty much thinks triathletes are idiots. "What? Your going to pay money to do 140.6 in one day? You get a t-shirt and a slice of pizza for finishing? You look like a dork with your helmet, bike short and goggles!" Yep, that pretty sums up my hubby. I love you Ethan!

Doing triathlons on a preachers salary is not the easiest either. I love my job and get paid great but I only work a few hours a weekso it doesn't add up to much.

Just some of the costs of a triathalon
-bike
-bike gear
-bike parts
-swim gear
-running gear
-nutrition
-pool fees
-race fees
- travel fees
Just to name a few.

Kids.....need I say more? This is a day in the life of me. Up between 5-6 am. Bike trainer for about an hour. Shower, get dressed, eat, read my bible. Kids up around 7. Get breakfast, get dresses, feed animals,clean up. School around 8:30. Chores. Lunch, cleanup, napkins for Lucy and Cross. More school with Trey. House work, get dinner ready. Head to the gym to teach a class, stop at the grocery store and home to take a shower. Get kids to bed and then usually fall asleep on the couch by 9. That's just an average day. Sometimes I have more to do, sometimes less.

I love the days when I can sneak a nap in!

I realized this week it's going to be so much harder to fit training in than I thought. Right now I only have to fit in an hour a day. I've only just begun.

I had a lady tell me awhile back that the sport of triathlons is very selfish. Now I understand! It would be easy to train if it were just me but it's not, thank goodness:) I made a promise to put training way down on the list. God and family first....must keep priorities straight!

I have yet to meet a mom of 3 young kids doing ironmans. If your out there let me know how you do it.....without your husband wanting to kill you.

I get dinner ready.....see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment