Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Homeschool myths busted

I know, I know my blog is supposed to have a "niche". But it doesn't, sorry. I just write about anything that pops into me head.

I like to watch the TLC show 19 kids and counting.  Ethan makes fun of it like crazy but I love the Duggars! Yes, they may be a little weird and yes they are about to have baby #20. I love the show because it's the only show on that's clean. They stand for so much of what I believe.

But it made me start thinking about homeschooling. Is this what most people think about homeschool families?

Before we had Trey I said I was NOT going to homeschool. There were so many reasons that I didn't want to do it. I am horrible at math, I am not creative, I wanted some me time, and I only have associates degree. Good enough reasons for me.

Then Trey came along........and I started to see it differently. It wasn't really until he started to reach the kindergarten age that I started wanting to homeschool.

Some friends gave me some advice that has stuck with me and really helped make the decision.
1. You have to be totally convicted or it won't work.
2. Don't put pressure on yourself to be perfect.....just take it year by year.
3. You can't put a baby plant out in the sun and walk away. It won't survive. Just like a child that is sent out into the world. It needs to be nurtured.

We've been homeschooling for 3 years now and we love it....especially Trey. Don't get me wrong, I have my days that I want to rip my hair out but for the most part it's great. I don't know maybe in a few years when I'm teaching all 3......I may not be so great. I just take it day by day and year by year.

Back to the Duggars! I want to clear some things up about homeschool....break some myths. Here we go.
MYTH: All homeschool families can sing and play instruments.
FACT: If you believe that then you haven't heard me sing. Maybe one day my kids will be into that but for now there is no way the Magee's will be putting on any kind of performance.

MYTH: We sew our own clothes.
FACT: If you know me your laughing right now. I can barley sew a button on.

MYTH: We don't believe in birth control....it's a sin.
FACT: NOT TRUE! Although I do think Mrs. Duggar does better with 20 kids than I do with my 3 there is no way that is ever happening. I think we are happy with 3. Show me in the Bible where it says that birth control is sin.....hmmm....it doesn't.

MYTH: homeschool families are weird.
FACT: You obviously haven't met my family. We are so cool! At least we think we are?

MYTH: Public school is a sin.
FACT: No way! In fact our kids will probably be in public school when the time is right.

MYTH: Homeschool kids are not socialized.
FACT: My kids can be be shy but are definitely socialized. We don't sit at home all day you know. They are involved in lots of other activities.

MYTH: Homeschool families are religious fanatics.
FACT: Yes, our faith has everything much to do with how we raise our kids but that's not the case with all families. All different kinds of parents are deciding to homeschool for so many reasons other than faith.

So these are a just a few things I had clear up. I love talking about homeschool so feel free to ask me anything! Check out 19 kids and counting and see for yourselves why I love them. They are obviously not as cool as my family but a great show.

As for now I just pray A LOT during my day as a homeschool mom and take it day by day..........

1 comment:

  1. oh, my goodness! jason and i both love 19 kids & counting. that show is so great! i love how much they talk about their faith to everyone and the way they live it out. so inspiring. the way they parent is also so inspiring. and i agree she definitely handles 19 better than i do 3. but she does leave me inspired and wanting to be calmer and more relaxed with my crazy kids! : )
    i debated homeschooling forever but i didn't feel passionate about it and was afraid it wouldn't be good for avery and i. i just try to be as involved as i can in her school. i still hate sending her. i wish she was still little.

    ReplyDelete