Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Testing my limits

Some of you know I've been dealing with knee pain for the past few months. It came on slowly then started to get really bad. It hurt in the back of my knee only when running and lunging which I do a lot of! It started at about 3 miles and continued long after I was done running. I was not happy considering the 1/2 marathon I was training for.
I was referred to Elite Physical Therapy in Rehoboth. The Dr. Ordered 3-4 visits for 4-6 weeks. My first visit consisted of elbows digging into my butt and IT band. Fingers poking in my vertebrae, being stretched all kinds of ways with bands and then being hooked up to electrodes. They told me I was horribly tight and inflamed. Duh!!!I was then given a deep tissue massage with bamboo sticks. I was sore the next day to say the least.
They soon realized it was all coming from my back. Strange because I have never in my life had any kind of back pain(except when I was 55 lbs overweight with pregnancies). Specifically L3......I think. Anyway they dug so hard into that one spot in so many different ways. They had me run on a treadmill in only my sports bra.....did not love that one! They wanted to see my gait, which was fine. Then they poked me some more, made me run again, poked me some more, made me run again-even I was tired of working out.

The next day I had no pain! Yay!!!!

That was 3 weeks ago. I went today which was supposed to be my last visit. The Doc told me I had 30 visits left that would be covered by my insurance but I had to use them by the end of the year. So she told me to try to get the pain in my knee by pushing the limits. I wasn't expecting that! I had decided I wasn't going to run the 1/2 on Dec. 10 but now I'm not sure. I've only done one 7 miler in the past 2 months so I don't feel prepared at all.

And I'm not the kind of person to just "have fun" in a race. It's called a race for a reason.

So....tomorrow I'm going to get up around 5am and get on the treadmill until the sun comes up and then head outside to finish. Normally Wednesday is my day off but I guess not tomorrow. I have an appointment on Thursday and I'd like to tell her I tried to kill myself in the process of trying to recreate my knee pain. All the while hoping I DON'T recreate it. Hmmmmmm

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment